Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bangkok

Thailand. The land of everything and anything, of bargaining, steaming hot curry, noodles, rice, whole fish roasting on each street corner, of humid sticky nights and long hot days. Bangkok is a sprawling, endless, bustling metropolis that's both captivating and overwhelming. Crossing the street is no simple task as tuk-tuks, buses, taxis and cars obey no laws but their own. The Thai people, from what I have experienced in only three days, are amazingly generous and kind. We greet each other with our hands in prayer, bowing our heads and smiling. My father spends his days in Chinatown, bouncing between electro- acupuncture treatments, Thai massage and open air markets boasting dried Chinese herbs, fresh fruit, whole duck, chicken, sticky rice, luck dragons, crystals, incense, flowers, candles, shoes, electronics, clothing... Dad is "sweltering hot" and struggles to get through the rising midday temperatures. Ethan and I are constantly exploring, walking, taking in all that we can. We ride skinny boats through the polluted canals of the city. We sip mango smoothies and sweat. Though it's monsoon season here there has been very little rain. Even if there is a passing shower, the heat always returns, swampy, thick, engrossing. This is a city that offers a tourist everything they could possibly dream of for cheap, cheap prices. Tonight Dad, Ethan and I will be taking a overnight train south to Krabi, to the quiet beaches where we can rest. Though I have so much more to see in this city, I am ready to leave Bangkok and head towards a sleepy shore. We will climb there (we have climbing shoes, ropes and quick draws) and in the evenings I will read my manuscript to Dad. I will have photos of Thailand to share, but it might be a while, since I no longer have my computer with me. We are free and flying, wandering this earth with eyes wide open, learning to listen, to see, to taste, savor, grateful for this ongoing adventure together.

No comments:

Post a Comment