Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Long Journey Home

Last night in paradise...
So much sun!

Welcome home!!!

 
Backyard reunion


I drove from Boston to Asheville, from city skylines to smoky mountains, in 14 hours. Foot against pedal, cramp in my leg, going crazy driving... I wheeled through the countryside of Massachusetts, through the long, endless state that is Connecticut, through New York, where angry horns and a hundred highways meet, and crossed into New Jersey. Looking to my left I saw the tall silhouette of NYC, shrouded in yellow, cloaked in late-morning light. I sped past and on through Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia and Tennessee.

By sunset, and with three hours ahead of me, I am going mad, singing out loud to keep myself focused, stopping to stretch and regain sanity. In the dark my car pushes south. There is mist on the mountain, draped over the sloping contours of the road through Appalachian territory.

I am home, recovered, rested. Amazed that this month has come and gone, amazed at the fact that my little-green-jelly-bean of a car and I made it from Asheville to Maine and back again. Home is oh, so wonderful. Home is a rolling mountaintop, is a garden bursting with vegetables, is a howling husky dog, a family of friends and a beautiful love that grows and grows….






No comments:

Post a Comment